History of mas paloU
Welcome to our home, Casa Cerdà de Palou. Our family and ancestors have lived here and worked the land since about 1378 and we are lucky to still call it home.
Most of the current architecture and structures are from 1623 and beyond. The chapel in our courtyard dates from 1623 and is dedicated to Sant Jaume (Saint James). We use it once a year, on July 25th, to celebrate its patron saint.
Our cellars date from 1872 and 1878. Our family used them to make wine and spirits in the 19th century. After that we have focused on growing wine, which we sell to select winemakers in the area. We grow about 180 acres of vineyard, with varieties ranging from the natives Xarel.lo, Macabeu, Parellada and Muscat to others such as Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. We also make extra virgin olive oil for private consumption – family, friends and guests.
During the Spanish Civil War, between 1936 and 1939 our family went on exile to France and the chapel and its interiors were burnt down and ransacked, as well as parts of the house. Thankfully our family was able to get it back.
We have been sharing our property with guests since 1996, when we opened a remodeled property, Cal Joaquim, which was one of the houses that tenant farmers who helped our family used to live in during the 19th century and later. We still remember the Brazilian group of friends who spent some days here in the summer of 1997.
Since people liked spending their vacations here, we remodeled the house next door, Cal Lluís, and the adjoining apartment . All the interiors have been designed by Adelina and Santi trying to capture the essence of history. We look forward to sharing our history with you here at Mas Palou!